Saturday 21 May 2011

Staff of life

Wow! Free bread! Today I went into a good health food shop I occassionaly go in , and they were re-stocking their shelves with fresh organic loafs. I happened to ask what they were doing with yesterday's bread and they gave me a loaf free of charge. I don't want to come down heavy on supermarkets but it shows that with your small local shops there is more community spirit. Anyway I'm considering it 'bread karma' and I hope it encourages anyone to get local and start asking in their nearest store.
Also, unbelievable as it sounds,yesterday I received post from my good friend Jean in the form of a print of John 6:48 .Apparently there is a copy of it displayed in Cartmel Priory by a shelf, where loaves were left for the poor. Wait until I tell her, what a weird coincidence!
Well every culture has its bread, and nearly every culture has its recipes for using up stale or old bread.
This is one of my favourites and a version of fattoush, a lebanese dish:

1. Take your stale or old bread bits and tear up into bean sized pieces.

2.Heat a dry frying pan (no oil needed) and toss in your broken up bread pieces. Keep shaking the pan so the bread bits start to toast evenly. Add some sunflower,pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds here for extra taste and nutrition.

3. Set aside the toasted bread and seeds and once cooled sprinkle with mixed herbs and oil. I like to add seasoning at this stage and let the bread rest to absorb the flavours for a few hours.

4. Now prepare your salad.You can use anything really but a finely chopped tomato and cucumber is a must. Try adding pomegranates, baby spinach, or for a middle eastern flavour some grated carrot and raisins.

5. Toss in your prepared bread and mix by hand.

6. Serve immediately with friends and sweet cardamon coffee.

Now thats why they call it the staff of life, enjoy.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments:

Post a Comment