Sunday 15 May 2011

Seaweed salt

Well I did say I'd put something up about seaweed salt. I'm not that near to a good coastline myself so its one of those things you keep in the back of your mind until you have an opportunity available.

Firstly a good honest word of warning, seaweed has high concentrations of iodine and those of you with over active thyroid or on thyroxine should best avoid this. Ive found a good web page which is frank and open on this subject
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/iodine

Well if you've made it past the health warning its as simple as this. Find yourself a clean beach of a rocky nature, both kelp and bladderwrack are common in these areas. Collect responsibly, and dry in the sun or in your kitchen. Ive got a piece of kelp still hanging over my stove from my last foray.
Once dry, put it in a food processer and grind to a course powder, use sparingly instead of salt.

I have to point out if it wasnt for my japanese and chinese friends many years ago leading the way I wouldnt have persisted with seaweed, but now its always in my kitchen and there are such varieties around the coast of britain that are so versatile. Its great to know them all and how best to use them, or have some in to add that vegan seafood taste to your platter.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments:

Post a Comment