Friday 19 April 2013

Pot Herbs

Spring is still shy of showing through and I'm feeling the dregs of winter still hanging around having suffered a week of a really bad chest infection. Still convalescing I thought of building my strength back with a good solid broth, and whilst many are recovering from Easter with salad diets there are bargains to be had in potatoes and casserole type veg. Picking up a good casserole mix of potatoes, carrots, celery and onions at knocked down prices I set to soaking some split peas and barley.
There is a tradition of adding 'pot herbs' to casseroles and broths which nowadays appears to be a mix of leek, cabbage and soaked peas that you buy on the market. However more traditionally it would be whatever green leafy veg was readily available at this time of year. As my parsley is a bit sparse, despite surviving the snow, I decided to choose the reliable tops of nettles and a good handpicked bunch of lambs lettuce.
Having soak the split peas and barley, I started sweating off chopped celery, onion and carrot. To this I added the chopped pot herbs of nettle and lambs lettuce and finally the split peas and barley. After a good stir and sizzle a few chunks of potato was thrown in and enough water to broth up.
Continuing to cook on a simmering heat so it bubbles gently, I reserved seasoning until it had all cooked off and ready to serve, salt and pepper being just fine.
Drizzle with olive oil and dip in some bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment