Saturday 6 April 2013

Anyone for breakfast?

Well I can honestly say that I did not think it would be this easy to make tempeh. Having obtained a tempeh culture and followed the instructions on www.tempeh.info I have now a kilogram block of tempeh to enjoy, the size of a round of cheese.
Doing the math I estimate its cost me no more than £2 to make this, far cheaper than the cost of purchasing it in shops. It took a bit longer to ferment than expected from the online instructions , around 5 days , but this was mainly due to cooler temperatures. Instead of bags I used a recycled plastic sweets tin with holes punched in the lid.
Our first taste had to be ,as before, on toast and crisped on both sides, but I managed to sneak a little chunk off to taste raw which I have to say was delightful.
By my calculation I've enough to last a good month, however you are all invited to breakfast , just bring your own bread !

No comments:

Post a Comment