Saturday 13 August 2011

Left-over rice

About four years ago I spent a lovely week of books, countryside walks and vegan food in the welsh borders. The place we stayed at made their own vegan sausages and despite my best effort they kept their recipe secret. I suspected rice and tomato puree was involved so I was inspired to develop my own and was suprised at how easy it was and how effective in using up left-over rice.

Ricey sausages

1.Take your left-over cooked rice and add half again of chickpea flour, so you have a ratio of rice to flour,2:1.

2. Add a measure of tomato puree, enough to colour so I would start with a tablespoon amount. Then add herbs and spices according to taste and a small chopped and pre-cooked onion. You can experiment with additions but be aware that anything you add should be chopped small to avoid the mix losing its consistency. I got a free sample of spirulina from the healthstore and found it added both extra nutrition but also colour and a certain sweetness.

3. Add a dash of oil and mix all the ingredients by hand. At first the mixture will seem like breadcrumbs but the more you work it the more it becomes to resemble a dough. If your left-over rice is older than a few hours you may need to add a bit of liquid. Be careful though as you don't want a sloppy dough. Try a splash of tomato juice, apple juice or simply water.

4. Now take your ricey sausage dough and shape by hand into sausage shapes and place on a pre-oiled baking tray.

5. Put your sausages aside in the fridge to allow to set a little into their shapes. Overnight is a good time then you can have them for breakfast!

6. Cook either baked in an oven at gas mark 6 until crispy, or shallow fry turning gently to cook both sides. I've not experimented with cooking these on a charcoal barbie but I would guess if you did you'd be best using something like foil to support their shape.

8. Because they are quite carb loaded I served mine up with a selection of a medley of veg, but as part of a vegan all day breakfast I certainly wouldnt exclude them, neither in roll with ketchup and salad!!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

No comments:

Post a Comment